Saturday, March 17, 2012

Small Victories


So, we're back.  We had a wonderful time, if 33 percent shorter a time than expected. We had pool time.  We had spring training baseball.








We had the Phoenix Zoo, which was great.  Our super-cute waitress had told us it was only "okay."  Then she asked us if we'd been to the San Diego Zoo.  We hadn't.  "Oh, then," she said, "you'll love it.  Everything's kinda lame after San Diego."  We loved it.


We made some friends.


And I will call you Squishy.  And you will be mine.


Just like at home.


In the car on the way to the airport, G said, "I think I'm ready to go back on the project.  I don't feel so well."  Score.


She's not kidding.  Let me just tell you, turns out that this project is about more than saving money and living sustainably.  It's about much more than that.  Why?  Well, at the risk of going all Supersize Me on you, there's nothing "regular" about that regular-sized combo meal.  Ugh.  I can't button any of my pants.  My face is a mess.  I've got zits in some places and freaky dry scaly patches in others.  It's like Jurrassic Park IV.  The kids feel like shit and so do T and I.  And we did not go all crazy vaca at every meal.  Yes, there were some desserts.  There were some sandwiches.  But there were also salads.  And vegetables.  And some lean meats that did not necessarily come on a bun.


There is something that goes wrong with that much eating out.  I don't know if it's salt content or preservatives or just portion size, but there's almost no way, no matter how mindful you are, to eat "right" when you're forced to eat out for every meal.  Yuck.


And if G is glad to be back on the project, you know it's big.


Welcome home!

1 comment:

  1. Dude. Glad you are back in the drive-thru. I missed me some orange soda. Glad you enjoyed the big hole. I hope Aunt Edna didn't give you too much trouble. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete